At Swiis fostering Glasgow, we recently ran Level 4 Sports/Dance Leadership Award with our young people. The event took place in Stewarton Sports Centre for a week in July 2015. It was attended by 7 young people aged 13+ along with 4 staff from Swiis West/Central office.
Here are just a few of the benefits of a Sports Leaders UK award or qualification for young people:
- A fun and practical course that focuses on leading rather than technical ability.
- Potential stepping stone into employment, further education or training.
- A good foundation to progress onto other Sports Leaders UK awards or qualifications, and/or a National Governing Body award.
- Develops generic leadership skills that will be vital in other areas of life.
- Allows those who are not sports superstars to take a full and active role in sport and physical activity.
- Increased self-confidence that comes through taking responsibility for own and others learning and enjoyment.
The SCQF Level 4 Award in Dance Leadership is a nationally recognised qualification that enables successful learners to lead small groups in simple dance activities, whilst under the direct supervision of their Tutor/Assessor or other suitably qualified adult
The qualification teaches generic leadership skills such as organisation, planning, communication and teamwork through the medium of dance. It is a fun and practical qualification with no entrance requirements or final examinations to sit
Everyone really enjoyed the course and over the week it was evident that they were all gaining in confidence and developing skills to enable them to plan and perform dance routines and teach them to others. Great fun and lots of hard work from both young people and Swiis staff throughout the week. Good team work and a few friendships made among the group!
Comments from young people from flip-chart feedback evaluation
“Great fun..brought everyone together”
“Fun but exhausting”
“Brilliant – I would like to do it again”
If this has inspired you to foster, please get in contact with us by sending us an enquiry, or by phoning us on 0333 240 9049.